Sep 2, 2018

HOW TO CREATE A MENTAL HEALTH TOOL KIT









I had the basics of this post all written out and then life happened. Specifically a slow to develop but quick to push me down the path of extreme pain, pinched nerve in my lower back. While I attempt to put together a plan to take care of my back, I am reminded of just how important my mental health toolkit is. More importantly, what happens to my mental health when I do not employ the tools in my kit.

I have been challenged for decades with anxiety and bi-polar II. It looks different for everyone, but in my case I have long bouts of depression with frequent racing thoughts coupled with gripping fear and anxiety.

So I want to focus today on how I developed my tricks to use it when you need it most.

I take a pause. Sometimes this means taking a break from the world by staying in bed. I’m not advocating for staying days in bed (although I have been known in the past to do that). What I do advocate for is taking a small pause whatever this looks like for you. For some with children and loved ones that they must take care of, a pause may look like a soak in the tub or a walk around the block. What's important is that you take some time for yourself to be by yourself.

1. I put together a list of activities that I normally do when I am not depressed. I pick 3-4. I mix items that take me out of the house, with indoor activities. I also include a mix of things that take me around people and those I can do by myself.
2. I created a small group of people (a mix of friends and loved ones) that I can call. Their purpose is not to “fix me” but to provide support through listening.
3. Since I lived most of my life with racing thoughts, I had to look for something that would take my mind off my thoughts even for a short time. I tried and failed and tried meditation. It now works for me, but if that doesn’t do it for you, pick something else. The key is to find something that will teach you how to be aware of the present moment.
4. I continue to learn and grow at this, but I breath in, hold my breath for a few moments, then breathe completely out. I do it as a numbered pattern until my heart rate slows down
5. Last, I learned a great trick that I have now included in my kit. I go through my senses (touch, smell, taste, see and hear) and speak each of them to myself as I experience them. It helps me to refocus my mind.




No comments:

Post a Comment